Hubbard Lake man recovering from burns received in explosion
Paul Borke told True North Radio he was wearing a life jacket and a pair of neoprene shorts when his boat exploded unexpectedly Sunday afternoon.
Borke said the force of the explosion threw him out of his boat and to the other side of the public launch site on the north end of Hubbard Lake. He was watching his young daughter at the time, who was safely playing on shore.
Borke is thankful the burns are contained to his legs, from the knee down. He is also grateful for the work of emergency crews, witnesses and others who helped keep the incident from becoming much worse.
Borke is still uncertain about what exactly caused the explosion, but believes there might have been a gas leak.
When the local fire department responded to the scene at about 3 o’clock Sunday afternoon, Borke’s boat was fully engulfed in flames.
No one else was injured in the explosion.